Thursday, August 14, 2025

No next steps - poem in progress

 No next step 


It’s too soon to tell
If the alarm bells
Going off in my mind are cause for concern
Or the promise of land after what feels like years at sea 

Are you the hand that pulls me from the waves
Or just another buoy the gods of thrown
To keep my head above water?
It’s too soon to tell

You snuck up on me,
Like a scared animal that would bolt in an instant.
It’s true, and I did, but you didn’t follow…
Only offering me tidbits of love to lure me back.

I was hesitant. I was distant.
But your ease of being was too comforting to run away from completely.
Slowly, I crept back, suddenly craving your touch
Surprising even myself.

I am still weary, fearful of a cage
Yet you wrap me in a warm blanket instead
With the promise of “ no next steps”
No pressure. No expectations.

Now I want to give you all all of them.
Every step, together.
But it’s too soon to tell.


No comments:

Post a Comment