Thursday, December 21, 2023

Grad schools #1 choice

 Okay so I've picked the one school I really think I would do the best in and who's course catalog best matches what I want. 


University of Alabama - INTERDISCIPLINARY MA

https://online.ua.edu/degrees/ma-ms-in-interdisciplinary-studies

Application deadline for the Fall is July but thats also when they disperse financial aid. So I will want to apply in January/February with fafsa so I can make sure everything is good. Once I start applying I will figure out how the letters of reccomendation can be sent in. I will ask Dr. Knox, Jack, and Dr. Weiland/Dr Mathews if she will have me. 

I will wait to hear back on what are considered core classes but; if there are no specified core classes then I already have 16 different classes picked out, which if it follows the pattern of most programs then 10 is how many I would need - that includes at least 1 class of thesis ( Which means if I take a full course load, 3 classes a semester, I can finish my degree in 3 semesters; less if I take during the summer.) 

I would opt to take the thesis route. 

For my thesis I would want to do an ethnography of devotion to faith; I would probably cover monks, priests, rabbis, and Wiccan priestesses/priest through the circle sanctuary group. 

What I need to get in:

  • 3 letters of reccomendation
  • Statement of purpose, which would also outline my chosen fields and why
  • Resume
  • Transcripts
Cost: $440 tuition + $15 college fee per course hour
$455 x 32 hours = $14560 so I will round that for coverage and say $1700 to include books.

Financial Aid:
- Fafsa ... good ol student loans
- The Campbell–Ellis Endowed Scholarship 
Classes I would take:
  1. Thesis  - 3 cr
  2. ANTH 519 Myth, Ritual, And Magic
  3. PHL 381 Philosophy of Religion
  4. LS 543 Traditional & Digital Storytelling
  5. ANTH 521 Ethnography 
  6. ANTH 538 Anthropology of Art
  7. ANTH 550 Probs In Anthropology
  8. ANTH 581 Anthropology is Elemental: Teaching Anthropology in Primary and Secondary Settings
  9. ANTH 600 Research Design
  10. ANTH 641 Culture
  11. REL 501 Social Theory and Religious Studies
  12. REL 502 Public Humanities and Religious Studies
  13. REL 521 Self & Society
  14. REL 523 Discourse & Practice
  15. REL 525 Identity & Place
  16. REL 565 Religion in Culture Applied
I have a runner up school but I am not sure how well I could make it fit to my preferences. 

No comments:

Post a Comment