Monday, December 25, 2023

School Goals for the future

 Okay... so my goal is to be able to be a professor. I would love to be able to teach these subjects; intro and lower level classes for sure, but some advanced or niche classes if I can. 

  • Anthropology
  • Sociology
  • Social Sciences
  • Humanities
  • Folklore
  • Religious studies
The first step is getting my interdisciplinary MA Degree from University of Alabama; all online. This would take about 2 years. Starting in Fall of 2024; so I would be finishing up around Spring of 2025. That would have me with about 5 years left of my big loan I took out for the move - Which I will just absorb into student loans at that point because I am going to have to move for my PhD anyway. 

Which I am torn about because the whole reason I moved up here was to be with my mom. 
Unless I do an online/low residency Phd.  

Ultimately I want to be able to teach in 
D.C., VA, NC, SC, GA, NY, FL, TX, LA, MO (eh...), AZ (eh...), CA, or HI 

Some top contender  PhD Programs:
  • GTU (Graduate Theologian Union) - a group of schools that make up an accredited union 
          • https://www.gtu.edu/academics/departments-and-concentrations
    • PhD of Historical and Cultural Studies of Religion
      • possible concentrations:
        • Anthropology of Religion
        • Comparative Religion
        • New Religious Movements
        • Sociology of Religion 
    • PhD of Religion and  Practice
      • Possible Concentrations
        • Religious Education
    • The living for this option would be intensely expensive
    • The University of Chicago 
      • PhD of Anthropology and Sociology of Religion
        • https://divinity.uchicago.edu/academics/committees-and-areas-study/anthropology-and-sociology-religions
        • Would still be close to mom (3 hours)
        • Would have to find a modern issue from one of the classes to create a thesis...
    • University of Pennsylvania 
      • PhD Anthropology - Cultural Concentration
        • There's enough classes I think I could take that would allow me to focus on religion
        • https://anthropology.sas.upenn.edu/graduate/phd
    • Duke (yes... NC's Duke)
      • PhD Sociocultural Anthropology 
        • 18 classes
          • 4 required courses
          • 6  courses must be Anth seminars 
          • 2 non cultural anthropology classes (other anth?)
          • 6 electives? (up to 5 indep. studies) - bruh all religious studies i swear
        • 2 plans of study (due in spring)
        • 3 annotated readings required
        • MUST be fluent in 1 language
    • University of Minnesota 
      • PhD in Anthropology 
        • there are 2-3 different faculty that study religion in the anthropology department (important for dissertation) 
        • a minor is required! - yay religious studies minor
        • Language requirement is dependant on what the advisor says
        • https://cla.umn.edu/anthropology/graduate/degrees/phd-anthropology
    • Arizona State University 
      • PhD of Religious studies
        • Anthropology of Religion concentration
        • 84 credit hours
          • 3 core classes (9)
          • 51 electives (up to 6 credits of a related discipline [phil?])
          • 12 credits of research
          • 12 credits for dissertation
          • up to 30 credits can be transferred from a masters program!!? <3
        • Language requirement
        • https://degrees.apps.asu.edu/masters-phd/major/ASU00/LARELIGPHD/religious-studies-phd?init=false&nopassive=true

    No comments:

    Post a Comment