Tuesday, February 14, 2017

2 Narrative Poems

Traveling Notebook: #6 Cemetery 

I walk through the yellowing grass,
it lays like a blanket over the coffins sleeping below.
The headstones act as beckons for those who wish to visit the souls that are no longer here.
For a moment I am among the old bones, until suddenly I am staring at the new.

My friend Carson lies forever sleeping in his coffin,
his eyes closed and looking almost purple - bruised.
He is so still he resembles a wax figure or a doll,
My friend is no longer there; this is but an empty shell.

My thoughts keep me in the church, staring at his pale form
while my watering eyes are searching for the names on the stones,
My feet shuffle on the grass, much in the same way they did in the church
while I waited in line to say goodbye to my friend for the last time.

The cemetery is beautiful,
It lies undisturbed off of a country road in goldsboro.
I look at it one last time as I climb into my girlfriend's car
watching it disappear in the rearview mirror once more.

As it fades, so does my pain.
Carson is resting under a blanket of earth, although I don't know where.
Unlike the quiet graves I have just seen I know he will be visited regularly,
but not by me.


Broken Road to you

I'm driving down the highway on my way back home from her house,
The yellow lines in the road lulling me to a mindset of meditation.
 headlights illuminating the way for my thoughts,
My mind travels on another plane, speeding as fast as my car.

Life has taken me along a road riddled with pit stops,
as I maneuvered my way around I became stuck at different points,
My heart feeling every jolt, causing it to grow more fearful every time.
A broken road full of firsts.

The first speed bump was Jake,
all the laughter and innocence of true love shine bright in my mind like a sun.
His fiery red hair and protectiveness made me feel safe and alive,
My first love, my first heartbreak, my former best friend.

Second came Katie,
The excitement of dating a girl and not hiding who I was,
It was freeing and exhilarating. But I was her secret.
My first girlfriend, my first experience at true rejection of my faith

Then came Bree
Attraction almost instantly, it was like electricity.
Years of conversations and a blossoming friendship.
My first missed chance, but closest confidant.

A green light with Staci.
Being introduced by chance and immediately know there was something there.
A kind and compassionate step, a true possibility.
My first serious girlfriend. My first time in bed...

Then the sudden red light that was Corie.
Everything was new and exciting. I learned so much.
Learning about the tarot cards and the art of seduction.
The first time I realized something was wrong with me.

Next was Kennedy, a deep pothole.
She told me she was a player, I tried so hard to be good enough.
I never stood a chance, she was taken long before we ever started going out.
The first time I was ever taken for a fool, forever making me paranoid.

Then I thought the lane ended with Kris...
Exciting is an understatement. She seemed so wonderful, with blue eyes electric...
Flirting and warm - a instant hold upon me, but suddenly ice cold and distant.
The first time being told I "wouldn't be able to handle" someone. Rejection as a birthday present.

Finally I have Lauren
It is as if the gods have made her perfect for me. Venus answering my prayers.
Compassionate and caring, humorous and undaunted.
For the first time, I am good enough.

The car jerks and bounces as I pull into my neighborhood,
The street is riddled with potholes launching me back into my body,
Back to the steering wheel in my hand and the pedal benwath my foot.
In a minute I am home.

No comments:

Post a Comment