Saturday, June 27, 2020

The perfect dog

We agreed no puppies and we would only get an adult dog that didn’t need to be kenneled. I agreed that I would take it potty on my lunchbreak.

So this is the very specific search parameters For the right dog for us...


So this cat person is in love with a dog person... so we are looking for a dog.

Looking for a dog that:
-between 30-70lbs
- calm temperament (preferably not one who climbs on/thinks it’s a lapdog - but that can be tolerated)
- NOT a jumper.
- good with cats
- good with kids
- minimum a year old. No puppies. (We CANNOT risk chewed up furniture and we cannot leave a puppy alone for 10 hours 4 days a week - wouldn’t be fair to the puppy)
- not a barker/is quiet
-preferably house and crate trained.
- (Knowing basic commands is also Highly preferred)
- independent/can entertain itself

Not picky about breed or gender at first.


At first.

I am more or less almost revolted at the idea of living with a dog. I love other people’s dogs, I don’t hate dogs, but I 100% did not want to live with a dog.

But then I found the perfect dog.

Her name is Rayna. A beautiful, gentle and quiet, German shepherd.
She hit EVERY SINGLE CRITERIA and then some.

I am actually very partial to German shepherds. I fell in love with her immediately...
That was yesterday. I showed Viking boy and he agreed she was perfect and he immediately emailed the shelter (the only way to contact them).

I could already see her in our apartment. I could imagine watching tv with her sleeping in her crate in the corner. I could see coming home to her. (Calmly walking up to the door). For the first time I actually *wanted* a dog.

Then this morning we found out that she has a pending adoption. They only accept adoptions one week a month, meaning she had multiple applications from last month and there were at least one pending.

Someone got to her before we could and there is more than likely multiple people ahead of us.
But... after crying all day... it’s settled.

We will wait until we can find Another shepherd that meets most (if not all) of our criteria.
Because now I can’t imagine getting a different kind of dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment