Thursday, March 6, 2014

Pegiunicornisus

****this was written as a dare: someone dared me to write a short story about a Pegasus-inicorn and call it "pegiunicornisus"



 People use to laugh at the thought of fairy tales. The thought that magic could exist.  But i knew. They laughed and scorned me. But i knew.

I was actually walking home one day, bruised and bloodied from the bullies. I was taking the long way home from school because it went past the woods. There was always something about these woods that i liked. Almost a pull. The older i got the weaker the pull became, but i always loved walking by them . The fact that the bullies got the creeps was a bonus, though.

I walked by and as usual i felt the mild pull, almost as if a thin string were pulling at my arm. As i walked i had the familiar feeling that i was being watched. I knew they watched me. The faeries. They began watching me after i first walked by the woods beaten up. I stopped at the woods, faced them and cried. I wanted help, protection from the bullies. After all, i was being punished for my belief in them, why wouldn't they help me?

Although at first i thought it was nothing, every time a bully would hurt me, something always happened. Sometimes, they would suddenly trip over their own feet when walking by a hill in the schol yard and take a roll through the mud on the way down.

Another time a girl took a nap in math class and wake up with her hair in knots so bad they had to be cut out. The youngest boy, 2 years my junior, had once stolen my notebook full of poems i had written and would read to the trees and burned it. I cried for days. Then somehow he came back with a notebook, my notebook that i watched him burn, with a glazed look in his eyes. He gave it and apologized and then walked off, almost in a zombie-like way. After that I never questioned that they watched out for me.

Despite my please and begging to take me away, they never did. They never spoke to me. They never showed themselves. I figured it was my punishment for being so in love with them. I knew i was lucky that the fae even cared enough to punish my tormentors. Though, pulling pranks was something they enjoyed, so i doubted it was something they did against their will.

I stopped and faced the trees again. I wanted them to see my face. Bleeding nose, most likely broken, busted lip, bruised cheeks. Today was the worse beating i had had in a long time. The oldest bully, a boy who should have graduated years ago, had taken an interest in me. When i refused to allow him to explore his interest, removing his roaming hands and spitting in his face, he punished me. Called me a freak and beat me.

I described to the trees what he did. How he touched me. how i hit him where i knew it hurt most. How he had slammed be against the wall and forced his tongue down my throat. I cried. I showed them my anger. But then i surprised myself, and asked that they not punish him too severely. I knew they usually punished what they considered equal to the crime. I didn't know how they would handle a sexual assault to their little pet. I had to foce myself to finish telling them what he did to me. I told them it didn't matter. That i was done.

I collapsed on the ground, curled up against a tree, and decided i would just stay. At some point i feel asleep and remembered feeling it start to rain. The cold feeling good on my hot and bruised face. In my dream i heard singing, i felt gentle hands touch me and i heard angry voices. Angry, but gentle. Then i realized i wasn't cold anymore. I smelt a warm, fleshy smell that was familiar to me. I opened my eyes and standing over me, protecting me from the rain was a beautiful horse.

A faerie's horse? I blinked in confusion... no of coarse not. One of our neighbors must have lost one.. I sighed and slowly tried to rise up. This horse didn't need to be out in the weather.  but when i stood i froze. This beautiful horse was almost too beautiful. With soft brown eyes it looked at me, with such intelligence and kindness. It moved closer to me and i drew in a sharp breath. This was a faerie's horse. This horse... had a horn.

All at once a joy filled me. I knew it. i knew it. A unicorn. A unicorn. I reached out slowly to touch her, but stopped. Unicorns come to virgins.. and after what had happened today... it shouldn't have shown itself to me. It took a step closer, i could feel the heat coming off of its soft bulk.  Its head, and horn, was only inches from mine and my breaths grew shallow.  It looked my dead in the eyes and i knew i had to be still.

Lowering its head i gently touched its horn to my shoulder, then both my breasts, and then where i imagined my root chakra would be. Everywhere the horn touched my i felt heat, almost burning, but not painful. I looked down at my chest and saw the bruises were fading. it was  healing me. When it brought its head back up i began to cry.  I reached out and stroked its soft face. It was real.

I looked at its smooth back and once again froze. Wings? Almost as if it read my mind it spread its glorious wings and i laughed out loud. I felt someone take my hand and my eyes darted down. A beautiful child was holding my hand. I felt my breath catch. My heart stopped for two beats. When she slowly raised her face to look at me she was smiling.

Her skin was a light shade of green, flawless and pale even in the evening light. Her eyes were almond shaped, almost as if she were asian, though her eyes were too full. She grinned, revealing small, even, sharp teeth.

"They heard you crying." She said, pulling on my arm to bring me to her level. I could only stare in shock.
"Epona" she motioned to her horned Pegasus, "didn't like what they told her. some nasty boy hurt you..." She said placing her other small hand on my cheek. What i felt had no words. One thing i always admired about the fae, and hated that humans coulnd't do, was communicate emotion through touch. What this girl told me through her small hand was that she was angry.

Epona was angry. Her sharp horn that had moments ago healed me screamed to pierce the young man's heart. I widened my eyes also as i realized this girl wasn't a girl. She was glamoured to look like a child. When she removed her hand, i closed my eyes knowing this faerie wanted justice. When i opened them i was no longer squatting next to a young girl, but a grown woman. She could have looked 25. Her child's face was gone and was replaced with a fierce but beautiful one.

She touched Epona and the horse nodded, giving an almost sing song reply that only horses can give.
"Epona will take you now." Said the faerie. take me? I once again widened my eyes as the Pegasus showed me its back. I never saw her move, but i was lifted onto the beautiful creature's back.
"Hold her mane. Lean in close to her neck, it will help hold off the wind." Said the Faerie, her voice commanding but not unkind. I was being taken away. to the land of the faeries.

I must have spoken my thoughts out loud because she nodded. I wrapped my hands in Epona's silky mane.The warm flesh sent heat through my wet clothes and i felt safe on the majestic beat's back. The faerie maid had a small smile when she saw me relax on her companion. I asked her where she was going when she turned to walk down the street. She only smiled and told Epona to fly. She had a look in her eye that made me actually pity my rapist.

Epona cocked her head so she could look at me, my guess was to make sure i was actually secure. I leaned in close and put my face by her big warm ears. She made a small noise and curiosity and i smiled.
"Where are we going?" I said in excitement, and a little bit of fear. The faerie world was not for humans, though those few humans who went and returned all claimed its beauty and praise. I was ready. This world here was not for me.

"Take me home..." i whispered as i stayed close to Epona's strong neck. And i held on tight as i felt us lift into the air. My eyes closed and i was in a world of bliss as i felt the warm body beneath me and the wind wash around me. Soon the cool air was warm and i smelled flowers. All around me i heard music and singing and i knew i was home. I was safe, and wherever Epona was taking me, her companion would soon follow - after whatever punishment she felt necessary for him- and who knows what my future would now hold.

No comments:

Post a Comment